Monday, September 22, 2008

Superman Has Left The Building!

It's Saturday morning and the sun is shining into my bedroom window. I wake up, feeling pretty good. I glance at the clock - double-take!! It's 10:30am.

I don't know if Superman's suddenly learned how to be quiet, if he's gone for the weekend, or if I was finally so exhausted that I just slept right through the morning chaos. Doesn't matter - I slept!!!!

Of course, I have to leave in an hour and a half for a friend's baby shower, then go straight from that to another friend's 40th birthday party. I have a million things to do like pick up the champagne, sign the cards, and pack for my big hike the next day. I'm so used to having an automatic Superman alarm clock that I didn't bother to set one - and now it seems inevitable that I'll be late, as usual.

Sure enough, it's 12:45 before I make it out the door - and there's traffic. I figure it's not too bad to arrive almost an hour late to a baby shower...until I walk in and find that it's an extremely formal sit-down affair, complete with table service and china. I thought I'd be missing some silly game that involved diapers and toilet paper, but what I really missed was foofy sandwiches and a chance to actually TALK to my pregnant friend. Ah well. Onward.

At least I wasn't late to the 40th birthday party - which ROCKED! It was another formal affair, with wine tasting, Italian caterers and live music. No, that's not just bad grammar. Yes, the food was Italian too. But the caterers were the highlight of the evening in my book! Hey, I've been so busy at work that I forgot to bring my own hot date and my friend's hot firefighter husband was at work saving cats from trees or something, so at least the two of us had something to admire from afar.

Parties are the awesome end of the delayed sleep phase spectrum. People started crashing around 1:30am or so, but I was wide awake (and relatively sober) and was able to get some meditation and reading in before I hit the guest bedroom around 2:45am. Perfect timing for me! I had yet another blissful full night's sleep and was ready to haul my partied-out self up a mountain the next day.

Which I did. 12 miles worth of mountain, on about 400 calories. I kinda forgot to eat anything but a hard boiled egg, a few slices of apple, and a smashed-up, melted chocolate Power Bar that I dug out of the bottom of my backpack halfway through the hike. Oops.

I got home around 6:00pm, did a few restorative yoga poses...and fell asleep on the couch at 9:00!!!!!!! When I opened my eyes again, it was 11:30. I dragged myself to bed and...laid there. I was totally exhausted, but my body seems to have treated my early crash-out as a late-afternoon nap. It wasn't about to go back to sleep until my normal time. Just like I expected, I finally fell back asleep around 1:30. Ahh!!

Which brings me to this morning. I opened my eyes to find the sun in a rather high position again. Looked at the clock. 10:30!!!! Another Superhero-less morning!!!!!!!

Wherever he is, I hope he stays there. I think my sleep-debt is just about paid off. Now if only I could do something about that school debt...

No comments: