Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gear Up!

Peru is only five weeks away! I'm excited, but I'm also getting very nervous. Am I worried about trekking across the Andes in my sea-level body over passes that rise higher than 14,000 feet? Well, yeah. A little. I have no idea how well I adjust to altitude, so all I can do is train hard and be as fit as possible, so if the altitude really hits me at least that's all I'll have to worry about.

But you know what really scares me? Doing it day in and day out after crack of dawn wake-up calls.

I love adventure travel. I live for it. But this morning, when I was waiting for my Coffeebot to brew my aptly named and freshly roasted Brazilian Sunrise, I started to wonder if I can really survive on that kind of schedule for 14 days straight. When I didn't smell that familiar coffee aroma and hear the hiss of the Coffeebot dripping, I realized that I hadn't filled up the water reservoir - and then I really started to wonder if I'm destined to be a safety hazard on a high mountain pass at 6:00am.

Early morning adventures are nothing new to me. Sunrise is a sacred time, especially when the God of the Tourist Dollar is involved. I've been roused from slumber for 5:00am game drives in the Zimbabwean bush and I've climbed Temple IV at Tikal in the dark, to watch the jungle wake up before my eyes. Personally, I prefer the African tradition of the "sundowner," perched high in a Land Rover, toasting the evening wildlife with a cold Bollinger's. Unfortunately for me, sunrise seems to hold far more options for cultural experience on the road. Why is this?

The first few days of any trip are the strangest. Depending on where in the world I plan to end up, they can be extremely difficult or they can be nirvana. Hawaii, for example, is awesome. Traveling west is ideal, because it takes a few days for my body to adjust to the new environmental time cues. While it's doing that, I'm in almost perfect sync. My 10:00am wake-up time is now 8:00am. Not exactly the crack of dawn, but early enough that I don't feel like I'm wasting my vacation. However, I live in Los Angeles so my westerly options are limited, to say the least.

Traveling east is another story. I adjust better to a complete flip - like South Africa's 11 hours - than I do to a small difference of only a few hours. Peru is three hours ahead of my current time zone. It's gonna be rough.

Like I said, I've done it before. My biggest concern is that I'm traveling solo this time. Not totally alone, because I'm joining an adventure travel tour group for the very first time. I've traveled alone before, but I usually meet up with friends at some point along the way and we do stuff on our own schedule. I only have to sleepwalk through the occasional pre-dawn climb or drive.

This time, we're on a strict schedule every single day and since I paid my single supplement (a rant for another time), I have a room/tent all to myself and nobody to shine a headlamp in my face or drag my butt out of my warm sleeping bag. This worries me.

The only time I've been totally alone, where nobody could just barge into my room and wake me up was on safari in Africa. Still, the guides there would show up at oh-dark-thirty, pound on my tent door, yell a little (or a lot), and not leave until I had a steaming hot cup of coffee in my hand. Okay, it was chicory rather than actual coffee but it was the best they could do. They served it in silver pots and china cups, which was nice. Chicory, however, does not have caffeine. Still, it was a warm, hot drink that got me moving a little. I'm fairly certain I won't be getting that kind of service on a trek in Peru.

In Guatemala, I just stayed up all night for the pre-dawn climb up Temple IV. I believe the wake-up call for that one was 3:30am, and it helped that there was a hard-partying group of locals who were still up drinking and singing at that hour. I was a wreck by the time we climbed down for breakfast, but I didn't miss the experience by sleeping right through it.

Speaking of Peru, it's time for me to get on the road for a conditioning hike. Training. Ugh. That's another early morning debacle...and a good topic for next time!

No comments: