Thursday, February 12, 2009

I Missed My Calling

I'm standing in the emergency room of a hospital surrounded by frantic people. There's a guy on a gurney in front of me, and he's a mess. Bloody, broken, unconscious. I realize that everyone is looking at me and finally a nurse standing to my right says, "Tell us what to do." I look down and I realize that I'm wearing a white coat. Panic rises in my gut and all I can think is, "Why do I have this coat on??? I'm not a doctor!" I'm frozen. The nurse looks up at me, pleading and yet incredibly calm and centered. "If you don't do something, he's going to die." Still, all I can think is, "I've been studying sociology for years! I don't know what to do!!! None of that education and experience is helping me here at all!!!"

Then suddenly, I snap into action. I start doing things and telling other people to do things. I don't know how I know what to do, but somehow it's just there and I do all the right things. As someone wheels the patient away, the nurse puts her hand on my right shoulder. She says, "He's going to be fine. You did it. I'll go tell his family that he's okay and that you'll be right out to talk to them."

My eyes snap open, my heart is pounding, and in a panic my first thought is, "I should have gone to medical school!!"

This is my longest-running Burgermare, recurring regularly for the past 8 or 9 years. It's always the same. If I met the nurse on the street, I would recognize her. She has short brown hair, is in her late 40s or early 50s, and is a little bit shorter than I am. Sometimes she's wearing glasses, sometimes not. Sometimes her scrubs are light green, other times they're light blue. But her words to me are always exactly the same. "Tell us what to do." "He's going to be fine. You did it."

Growing up, my adult role models were not physicians. They were police officers, mechanics, and stay-at-home moms. College wasn't even on my radar until I took a few classes at a community college more for fun than anything else. When the counselor saw my grades and SAT scores, he asked me why I was there instead of at a top university? I had no answer. I hadn't known that was an option for me.

So I went. Later, my professors guided me toward advanced degrees in sociology. I did well in the sciences, but my interest there leaned toward marine biology. I also considered marine bio for graduate school, but ultimately the bulk of my social support was in the field of sociology and so I ended up here.

A few years into grad school, I started working with a professor who specialized in doctor/patient communication. As a research assistant working on his studies, I spent a lot of time in doctors' offices - days, weeks, sometimes months collecting data in the same office. I began to think that I would have made a really good doctor. The more I saw the mundane reality of their working world, the more I was sure that it would have been an excellent choice for me. When I began to learn about eastern medicine, I knew that an integrated practice was my calling.

But I got sidetracked. By that time, I was so deep into a PhD program and so deep in student loan debt that making that leap was impossible. And there was another thing.

Sleep.

Medical school is notoriously a trial of sleep deprivation. I was terrifed that I wouldn't be able to do it. I didn't even know that DSPS as such existed yet, but I knew that I'd been trying to wake up early for my entire life - and I'd failed. Miserably. I'd struggled through the few required 8am classes in grad school, but we were on the quarter system and I always knew that it was only for 10 weeks, and only two days a week. I struggled through my own dissertation research, which involved meeting parole agents before dawn. I struggled through the work that I was doing to support myself, begging for afternoon meetings and shifts.

Could I have struggled through medical school? I don't know. I was afraid to try. The risk seemed too great, since I would be dealing with human lives.

Looking back, I think I could have done it. If I'd changed course the minute that I realized it was a better path for me, I could have made it work somehow. I still do a lot of medical sociology as part of my job, and I've seen doctors who wake up at the crack of dawn and work until 7 or 8pm. However, I've also seen doctors who start at noon, see patients in the evening, and work until after midnight. I'd like to think I could have been one of them. I'd like to think that if I had known them earlier in my life, I would have been able to make it through the Sleep Deprivation Marathon of medical school, knowing that it wouldn't last forever.

This week, a cardiologist told me that sleep deprivation is one of the risk factors he thinks other physicians miss. He believes that regardless of whether it's caused by apnea, insomnia, or a circadian rhythm disorder, it has serious consequences for our health that we don't take seriously enough. I yearned to be on his end of things, helping patients understand that sleep disorders are, in fact, to be taken seriously. From the end that I am on, I was surprised and thrilled that there are doctors out there who do take it very seriously, and who want to help change societal perceptions around sleep.

People still tell me that it's not too late to go to medical school. But it is. Unless I win the lottery, it's too late. I couldn't even really afford graduate school, so I definitely can't afford a second round, even if I could somehow struggle through the early mornings.

What I'm doing now isn't a bad career path either. It works for me, and I continue to learn a lot about the practice of medicine from a sociological standpoint. I'm coming to terms with the fact that DSPS is one of the major factors that shapes my path in life - and that despite my best efforts, it will continue to do so. It's a tough pill to swallow.

No comments: